Peel Active Transportation Study
Page updated: Wednesday February 22 2012
On February 9, 2012, Peel Regional Council approved the Peel Region's first Active Transportation Plan (The Plan). The Plan is completed in collaboration with area municipal staff, and with input from internal and external stakeholders including the general public.
The Plan provides a framework for how the Region will increase the share of trips by walking and cycling, linking with transit, and creating a pedestrian and cycling friendly environment. The Plan sets out policies that direct the practices of the Region to support more walking and cycling; recommends active transportation improvements to the existing cycling and pedestrian networks, and recommends strategies/programs to shift travel behaviour.
The Plan is a long term strategy that consists of three implementation phases. The first two phases (1-5 years and 6-20 years) form a recommended 20-year implementation plan (up to 2031). The third phase forms the longer term strategy (2031+). The Plan has an implementation strategy that includes estimated financial investment that tie into the Region's capital plan, tools for performance monitoring and evaluation, and a design guide for infrastructure design.
For more information on the study, please click on the following links to download the components of the final study.
- Executive Summary (PDF 3,152KB)
- Active Transportation Plan (PDF 6,804KB)
- Implementation Strategy (PDF 789KB)
- Appendices (PDF 6,760KB)
- Proposed Pedestrian Network – Caledon (PDF 1,512KB)
- Proposed Pedestrian Network – Brampton (PDF 1,762KB)
- Proposed Pedestrian Network – Mississauga (PDF 2,908KB)
- Proposed Cycling Network – Caledon (PDF 1,534KB)
- Proposed Cycling Network – Brampton (PDF 1,806KB)
- Proposed Cycling Network – Mississauga (PDF 2,908KB)
- Regional Network (PDF 2,151KB)
- Land Use (PDF 889KB)
- Transit (PDF 566KB)
- Barriers (PDF 5,161KB)
- Opportunities (PDF 1,019KB)
- Potential Demand (PDF 6,789KB)
- City of Mississauga - Cycling Master Plan
- City of Brampton - Pathways Planning
- City of Caledon - Trails
- Region of Peel - Transportation Planning
Special Notes from the Project Team
We would like to thank you the members of the public, and stakeholders who gave their time and effort in the development of this study, especially those who participated in the public meetings, workshops, and the many others who provided written or verbal input to the study team.
For further information regarding this study, or if you wish to be kept informed on the progress of active transportation in Peel, please contact:
|Margie Chung, Principal Planner
Transportation, Public Works
Region of Peel
905-791-7800, ext. 4510